about THE MUSEUM
The Palace of the Exhibition, building that houses the Museum of Art of Lima - MALI, is one of the most beautiful examples of the eclectic architecture of Lima. Conceived and built as the headquarters of the first major public exhibition in our country, the "Great Exhibition of Arts, Sciences and Industries", takes place on the occasion of the fifty years of independence, easily adapts to the functions of the museum, since It was expressly built for exhibition fines. It was built between 1870 and 1871 during the government of José Balta. It is a precursor building in Latin America, as it is one of the earliest and most important works made with the new iron construction technique. Designed in the neo-Renaissance style, its design and construction are due to the Italian architect Antonio Leonardi. The manufacture of the columns, made of iron and imported from Europe, is attributed to the Eiffel house. Surrounded by statues, gardens and a zoo, the Palace was the heart of one of the most important urban projects of the last century, following the example of European universal exhibitions. At present, it is part of one of the most dynamic and busy areas of the city, where a large and heterogeneous public comes together. Due to its importance, the Palace was declared by the National Institute of Culture - INC, historical monument and Cultural Heritage of the Nation in 1973.